for cards with
x86 code compatible
GDOS-188 English Tech.
Manual PDF format.
Ver.5.10 - Rel.. 11 October
G E N E R A L
GDOS-188 is a software tools developed for all grifo® industrial
cards based on the wide Intel 188
family of microprocessors.
This software tools allows programmation of these cards through
high level environments that doesn't require a closely knowledge
of the used hardware. With GDOS-188, the user exployes
high level programming languages and many other resources, not
available in other different software tools. It is possible to
develop, debug and install any kind of user programs obtaining
complete applications in a fast and confortable way.
GDOS-188 is a simple and efficient operating system
for industrial application. It derives from famous Microsoft
MS-DOS operating system and it has similar commands,
compatible programming modes and similar use.
As well as all the operating systems, GDOS-188 interfaces
hardware to the user, so this one never must develop low level
firmware but he can directly use hardware with high level instructions,
commands and languages. The power of GDOS-188 is the result
of his possibility to use the hardware resource of an external
personal computer that simplifies the develop and debug phases,
with no requirements of other devices and further cost.
For example GDOS-188 manages the following hardware
resource: serial lines, printers, mass memory devices, user interfaces
that can whole be used by programmers through simple instrunctions
of the selected programming language. Normally the operating system
uses a little space of memory and it shares the use of one serial
line. If this features are not acceptable, there are some hardware
solution that solve the problem.
GDOS-188 is composed by some subsistems that create
a confortable develop environment provided of: notes, guides,
on line help, examples, etc.
The GDOS-188 is composed by software on disks, a user manual
and a memory device (EPROM or FLASH EPROM) for the
Control card based on
It is the electronic card that belong to grifo® industrial set, based
on Intel-188 and compatible
Independently from the application to develop, the target card
must be provided of:
- - EPROM or FLASH EPROM with GDOS operating
- - at least 32K bytes of RAM
- - one asyncronous RS 232 serial line
- A personal computer provided of:
- - 3 1/2" floppy disk drive
- - at least 640K RAM
- - one RS 232 serial line with V24 standard
- - Microsoft MS-DOS operating system version >=
3.3 or WINDOWS version >= 3.11
An hard disk is not necessary but recomended to speed all the
files management operations.
This is the software that must be used to write and test the
application program to develop. Actually the programming software
is one of the following programming languages :
The GDOS-188, when combined with a programming software,
can be used to develop embedded code for the selected control
card. It has many features that are below summarized
- It comprises a BIOS and a DOS featured by a
long list of functions that manage hardware resource of both
control card and develop PC.
- It includes a start up code that defines stack, initializes
some on board peripheral devices and it plans the operating system
- It uses about 20K of memory, placed in EPROM
or FLASH EPROM.
- It divides the EPROM or FLASH EPROM that exceed
the 20K bytes in 64K size segments. Each one of these
segments can be saved and executed an application program.
- It manages the a portion of RAM as an high level RAM
Disk drive, where data are organized in read and write files.
The RAM disk dimension is selectable by the user.
- It is a non intrusive operating system, in fact it doesn't
use interrupts and it doesn't execute operations autonomously.
- It is a determinable operating system: the execution times
of its functions are fixed, therefore it can be used even in
real time applications.
- It directly executes the application program/s, developed
by the user, on EPROM or FLASH EPROM, RAM
disk and standard RAM. In the final installation, when
the program is saved on EPROM or FLASH EPROM, the
required RAM configuration is reduced at the only application
program data area.
- It includes a complete and powerfull monitor Debugger
that manages the hardware resources of the control card downloads,
downloads the application program and debugs it at assembly level.
Among the commands of this monitor debugger we can remember:
binary or HEX file serial download; on line assembler;
deassembler; memory dump, substitute and fill; breakpoint setting;
execution step by step, step over and real time; I/O operation;
- It manages the FLASH EPROM programmation with the
code developed by the user.
- It generates the EPROM immage with the code developed
by the user. This immage must be burned through a proper EPROM
- It manages one console serial line necessary every time GDOS-188
is used also for the application develop and debug phases.
- It manages one auxiliary serial line available for an high
level characters reception and transmission with a predefined
physical communication protocol.
- It manages 14 TTL I/O lines to drive a CENTRONICS
parallel printer (connected for example with IAC 01 or
DEB 01 modules).
- It includes driver for the on board serial EEPROM
managed at high level as a buffer where data can be loaded and
saved in a byte form.
- It includes functions for high level management of real time
- It retriggers the watch dog circuit.
- It includes a proper utility program (TOOLS 188) that
increases the versatility of the system. This program provides
commands to copy, rename and delete files, to format the on board
RAM disk, to set the real time clock, etc.
- It is prepared to operate also with application programs
that manages Interrupts.
- It is available a reach list of example for each control
card and each programming language. These examples are supplied
in source and executable form, they are well documented and they
show how to use the card hardware sections through the operating
- It has no license nor additional costs. The user is free
to develop all the applications that he requires even without
To satisfy all the different requirements of the customers,
the GDOS 188 is available in the following versions:
Operating system for target card GPC® xxx on EPROM.
Operating system for target card GPC® xxx on FLASH
FGD xxx and FGD xxx MCI
FLASH EPROM for target card GPC® xxx with the operating
system saved on its last sector.
Page updated at 30 October 2003