Debugger for GPC® cards provided of 8051 microcontroller
FMO 53 English
User Manual in PDF format.
Ver. 5.00 - Rel. 11 Febrary
FMO53 is an interactive software tools, composed by
a monitor debugger and a FLASH EPROM manager, that allows
to develop the user application in a fast and comfortable way.
It is available for many GPC® cards included in grifo® industrial
boards group, based on Intel 51 microprocessor family. Thanks
to FMO53 each user can prepare the firmware for the used
control card, with no requirements of complicated and expensive
external development systems, obtaining a considerable reduction
of time and costs. The inexpensive use of FMO53 is confirmed
also by the slight list of required items: it can be used only
with a standard PC connected to preselected card, through
RS 232 serial line.
The monitor debugger operates in machine language and therefore
it can be joined with any programming language, always for I51
family; among these we can remind the numerous Assemblers,
C compilers, BASIC compilers, PASCAL compilers,
The FMO53 provides numerous functions as dump and change
of memories content, breakpoints management, single step code
execution, real time code execution, inspection and modification
of microcontroller's registers, a complete disassembler, test
of RAM, FLASH erasure, FLASH programming
with user program and automatic execution of the program saved
on FLASH. These functions are the typical features of an
hardware In Circuit Emulator and they are well replaced by FMO53,
that is completely realized by software.
About operations to perform, the user must only write the application
program for the used card, through the selected programming language;
at this point he must convert the source in executable code (compile
and/or assemble it) and then upload it to card through FMO53.
The program, once uploaded, can be executed on the board by obtaining
the possibility to test his functionalitity directly on the real
system; if the functionality has some bugs the user must solve
them by repeating the steps described up to now. When a functionality
completely right is obtained the user can proceed by saving the
tested application program on FLASH EPROM, always through
FMO53. At this point the card is ready to be installed
on the final plant infact in the following power ons the application
program will start automatically. Whenever, after a variable time
period, the user must attend on application program to verify
or update it, the FMO53 can stiop the execution of saved
program and re-allow all the operations previously described,
with a simple displacement of a proper on board selector.
It is important to remind that FMO53 uses very few resourcers
of the used card and it is not intrusive for the user application
program. However these resources (described in detail in following
descriptions) are completely released when the program saved on
FLASH is executed; the user can develop his program as
if it were running standalone, without fear of any conflicts.
The most important features of FMO53 are below summarized:
- Monitor debugger for GPC® cards of grifo®
, provided of Intel 51 microcontrollers (see list on following
- Communication on Asyncronous serial line, in RS
- Physic communication protocol:
- 38400 Baud;
- 8 bits for character;
- No Parity;
- 1 Stop Bit.
- Communication serial Line Selectable
(between A and B) on those cards provided of two
- It can be used with numerous communication program for PC.
Basically it is sufficient a terminal emulation program capable
to use the described physic protocol. Among these programs we
can remind those specially developed by grifo® (as GET51) or
those prepared by other companies (i.e. HYPERTERMINAL
- Numerous available Commands, equivalent to as many
functionalities (see following paragraphs for details).
- Possibility to upload application program to the card, either
in HEX Intel or S Motorola format.
- Fast upload of the program (normally in 1 Second
it is transferred 1K Bytes of code, equal to about 3K
Bytes of HEX file).
- Application program can be executed in Real Time or
Single Step mode.
- Management of Four different Breakpoints, that
can be freely inserted by the user to check the program execution
- The microcntroller's Data Area and Code Area
are addressed in Overlapped mode, to allows either read
and write access to both type of memories.
- Different types of memories are addressed, with maximum dimension
- - up to 55,75K Bytes of SRAM;
- up to 31,75K Bytes of FLASH.
- The user application Program can be saved on
FLASH non volatile memory.
- Management of AUTORUN mode where the application program
saved on FLASH is automatically executed after a reset
or power on.
- Management of DEBUG mode where after a reset or power
on, the FMO53 is always executed.
- Selector of start modality (AUTORUN o DEBUG)
through on board DIP-SWITCH or Jumper.
- It uses very Few Resources of selected card and these
are Released when user application program is executed:
- - one Serial Line for the communication with development
- up to 208 Bytes of external RAM;
- 8K Bytes of EPROM for ots code;
- TIMER1 as baud rate generator for communication and
for sinle step execution;
- one Configuration Input as selector of start modality;
- from 1 to 3 Interrupts, according to used
- It preserves/restore the entire contents of Registers
and internal RAM when it take/pass the control from/to
- Optimized Visualization of information on a PC
screen, that allow to mantain a complete vision of the card status,
during the debug phase.
- For the commands that show large quantity of information,
are provided the Suspend, Restart and Abort
actions on visualization.
- Complete management of microcontroller's Interrupts,
that are redirected in proper areas of code memory; the user
have not to modify the interrupt service routines but he must
simply relocate them in the foregoing areas. Normally the relocation
of the code start is sufficient to Relocate all the interrupts
- It includes Utility procedures that can be used to
write Data Areas of the FLASH , directly by user program,up
to a maximum size of 7,75K Bytes.
- Protections and Redundant controls on the FLASH
content that ensure the validity of the saved information (either
as code and data) in any working conditions.
- Integrated Test of the SRAM memory always installed,
easily recallable by proper command.
- Perfectly Integrable inside the development tools
for I51 family, as the BASCOM 8051 (BASIC compiler),
µC/51 (C compiler), SYS51PW (PASCAL compiler),
- The user application program that is developed in conjunction
with FMO53, requires very few intervents:
- Il programma applicativo dell'utente da utilizzarsi in abbinamento
all'FMO53 richiede pochissimi accorgimenti:
- define the Start Address of the Code and adjacent
- define the Start Address of the Data used by
the program (variables).
By using the development tools described in previous point, these
settings coincide with two compiler directive, that must be added
at the source or project file of the same program.
- For the development tools suggested by grifo® the user found a complete
and detailed description of both the configurations required
for the Integration and the Directive to prepare
the application program.
- Wide Documentation and rich list of Examples
both in source and executable format. These examples coincide
with those developed for the control cards, are coded in different
programming language and they are ready to be uploaded and executed.
- The FMO53 is composed by a CD that contains
the software, user manual and examples, and by an EPROM
mounted on the used card.
- It has No
License nor additional costs.
The user is free to develop all the applications that he requires.
8051 based control card
It is the electronic card that belong to grifo® industrial set, based
on I51 and compatible microprocessors, as:
Independently from the application to develop, the target card
must be provided of:
- EPROM with TFMO53
- at least 32K bytes of SRAM
- one asyncronous RS 232 serial line
Development personal computer
A standard personal computer provided of:
- CD ROM reader
- hard disk with at least 2M bytes free space
- 486 or higher CPU
- at least 640K bytes RAM
- one RS 232 serial line following V24 standard
- Microsoft MS-DOS operating system version >=
3.3 or WINDOWS 3.11, 95, 98, ME,
2000, NT, XP
- an emulation program of a serial terminal
To simplify and to speed the FMO53 use even by untrained
customers, and to complete the application development, the following
items can be profitably used:
- Cable and possible accessories for serial connection between
control card and development PC (CCR.PLUG9, CCR.PLUG.25,
AMP8.Cable, MSI 01, etc.).
- A parallel FLASH EPROM that can be mounted on the
control card (it can be ordered as options .32KF, .128KF,
.512KF according with his size). Alternatively it can
be used an an EPROM programmer that burns the application
program developed by the user, on EPROM.
As advanced in previous description, the FMO53 provides a list
of commands that allows to perform the following operations:
For detailed description of the commands, please refer to proper
Page up-dated at Febrary
Via dell'Artigiano, 8/6
40016 San Giorgio di Piano
Tel: +39 051 892.052 (4 lines)
FAX: +39 051 893.661