SL - Data GSM
Secure Digital Interface 02
- Data Logger with GSM Modem
SL-Data GSM English Tech. Manual
Ver. xxx - Rel. xxx.
|Data Logger SL-Data GSM composed by GAB
H844 that acquires both Analog and Digital lines
from the field; SDI 02 capable to store data and time
on a Secure Digital card and an GSM Modem.
SL-Data GSM is a product
capable to acquire different types of signals supplied by the
field, to save them on a removable memory card , like the SD (Secure Digital) and MMC (Multi Media Card) types
and to transfer the logged data to an external system when required,
through a wireless serial communication, on GSM
This product is the result of numerous experiences, collected
in many years by grifo®,
during the development of Data Logger applications. The
equipment acquire and save different analog and digital signals
in a simple, reliable and cheap manner. Moreover it allows to
examine and/or process the saved information, later and in a different
place, without reaching the istallation place.
The logged data are saved on the memory cards managed by SDI
02, that are the SD and
MMC, with FAT16
format and they are aways available in order to ensure
all data reliability in any working conditions.
The logged data can be moved to a PC, or any other external
unit, through an asynchronous serial communication either on wired
lines (RS 232, RS 422, Current Loop, analog modems, etc.) or wireless
(GSM, GPRS, UMTS, etc. modems). The data are availbale under files
with ASCII format and they are organized in order to be
opened with EXCEL spread sheet. Then these data can be
saved in different files, or they can be examined, processed,
printed, arranged, registered, displayed on graphs, etc. according
with user requirements.
Alternatively the same data can be easily moved with a simple
extraction of the memory card and a following insertion on a PC
provided of a standard multicards interface.
GSM is composed by a group of hardware, firmware and
software. This division allow the customers to select two different
A) Use the package
directly, as it has been supplied, by taking advantage of the
provided configurations in order to satisfy the application requirements.
B) Modify the programs
Sources in order to change, or add, the new required functionalities.
The operative features, already available or to be added, of
the SL-Data GSM are briefly
The firmware and the software normally provided with SL-Data GSM acquire and save the analog
and digital signals available on GAB H844, coupled with
a selected Mini Module. The programs sources, supplied
under specific requirements, are widely remarked, includes all
the necessary Procedures and Data Structures and
allows the user to develop his firmware and to satisfy his specific
requirements. In this manner the SL-Data
GSM considerably reduces the development time of data
The serial data transfer has been developed with the widely
diffused electric communication protocols and it assume a sinple
and effordable logic protocol that increase security and speed.
Whenever different communication modalities become necessary,
they can be easily implemented with a simple intervent on sources
and used hardware.
A comfortable configuration mode let the user arrange the SL-Data GSM for the application to
develop. As an example, it defines the type of the connected signals,
the acquisition time and mode, the features of the physic values
acquired (engineering format), the current date and time, etc.
Normally the configuration mode is used only one time before the
installation of the complete system.
One of the most important features of SL-Data
GSM is that it is a ready to use product: the user
is not forced to know the selected and used hardware. Thanks to
the utility programs and the sources of the package, it is possible
to set up, test and use the data logger in few hours.
The most important features of SL-Data
GSM are summarized in the following points. In order
to simplify the description we define:
- Acquisition Hw
-> system dedicated to field signals connection (usually GAB
Hxxx + Mini Module).
- Saving Hw ->
system dedicated to data saving (SDI
02: for details please read proper documentation).
- Communication Hw ->
system and accessories involved in data transfer (usually simple
serial cables or a couple of GSM
- Development PC ->
personal computer dedicated to configuration and possible modification
of firmware and software executed by other systems.
- Data PC ->
personal computer dedicated to communication, download and saving
of logged data.
- Acquisition of the Analog Inputs available on acquisition
- Analog Inputs configurable among different Types:
two are Voltage inputs (0÷Vmax value, 0÷Vmax
value*4) and two are Current inputs (0÷20 mA, 4÷20
- Analog inputs can be Filtered or not by firmware,
and enabled in the acquisition hw configuration.
- Gain Factor application on the analog inputs.
- Analog inputs are converted in Engineering Unit and
then saved on memory card.
- Engineering unit for analog inputs defined under configuration
with Begin Scale and End Scale values.
- Acquisition of the Digital Inputs available on acquisition
- Digital Inputs configurable among different Types:
Boolean (ON/OFF), Counter (0÷65535 pulses in Acquisition
time) and Frequency (0÷65535 Hz).
- Analog inputs are converted in Engineering Unit and
then saved on memory card.
- Engineering unit for Counter and Frequency inputs defined
under configuration with Begin Scale, End Scale
values and Counts/Frequency Begin, Counts/Frequency
- Automatic Format of the values in engineering unit,
in order to provide always the maximum number of Significant
- Current status of Digital Outputs, available on acquisition
hw, are saved on memory card.
- Header string (with plant features as name, address,
type, etc.) can be defined under acquisition hw configuration.
- Measures names of connected physic signals (i.e. AirT.,
FireT., Motor1, FluxIn, Level, etc.) can be defined under acquisition
- Comfortable Test modality that allows to check the
connection of all the field signals and relative conversion,
plus formatting, in engineering unit.
- Data saved on Memory Card with SD
type, with 2 GBytes size.
- FAT16 format for memory
- Memory card completely managed by SDI
- Data on memory card are organized on
single ASCII File, with a table organization, compatible
with electronic spreadsheet as EXCEL.
These data are never removed from memory card and they are always
ready to use, in order to avoid data loss in any working condition.
- Memory card becomes full in a variable time period
according with performed configuration and use. In worst conditions
(measures with highest significant digits and minimum acquisition
time every second) the period reach 180 days; by using
typical conditions (measures with 4 significant digits acquired
and saved every minute) the memory card is full after about 50
- The fill level of memory card is checked by acquisition unit
that signals the full condition with sufficient advance.
- The memory cards and the saved data can be managed by any
PC provided of proper multicards interface.
- Summarizing on memory card, and so on transfert file, are
svaed following information:
- Header string with plant and system features;
- Name of physic measures acquired and saved;
- Current date and time in DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS format;
- Measures of analog inputs in engineering units;
- Measures of digital inputs in engineering units;
- Digital output status;
- Possible occured events.
- Comfortable Configuration modes either for acquisition
hw and saving hw.
- Configurations are mantained in backed memories (EEPROM)
with specific algorithms and reliability controls.
- Acquisition Time can be defined under configuration
among 18 standard values (from 1 second to 1
day), or alternatively with a time inserted by user.
- Check of configuration Validity and signalling
of possible errors.
- Hws Functionality is Cheked and possible anomalies
are signalized on acquisition hw.
- Connection between acquisition hw and saving hw performed
with Synchronous I2C BUS communication.
- Connection between acquisition hw and communication hw can
be performed with different electric protocols (RS 232,
RS 422, Current Loop, Modem GSM, Modem GPRS, etc.).
- Physic protocol for asynchronous communication fixed
at 9600 Baud, 8 Bit x Chr, 1 Stop Bit, No
Parity, No handshake.
- Logic protocol for communication of Master-Slave
type and based on command message and following response. It
is described with details both on the source files and inside
- Management software for data PC that communicates
with acquisition hw by using the described electric, physic and
logic protocols. It is capable to:
- Manage a First configuration modality that let the
user select the language, the used serial line, the file name
for the downloaded data and the possible telephone number, when
the connection is through modems.
- Show the User manual and mantain it on line.
- Manage and show a group of Controls and States
of the software relative to serial communication and files.
- Perform a Telephone call when connection is through
modems and it Release the line at the end of communication.
- Acquire and show the states of acquisition hw, saving
hw and communication hw (among these there is also the memory
card full status).
- Download the data saved on acquisition hw by starting
from the last one already saved on data PC file; thanks
to this mode the user must only start the download, check the
time of received data and stop the download when necessary. Viceversa
the same download proceed up to the last data available.
- Save the downloaded data on the file previously
configured, with the already described ASCII table format.
- Get and set the current date and time
of acquisition hw.
- Reset possible errors and alarms currently
enabled on acquisition hw.
- Firmware and software support double language: Italian
- Firmware source developed with Modular Procedures
dedicated to any section of the acquisition hw (EEPROM,
A/D, Buffered Inputs, Counters, Buffered
Outputs, Serial Communication, Data saving,
Data loading, Timing, User interface, etc.).
- Wide Documentation and rich list of Examples
both in Source and Executable format.
- In order to modify the sources the user needs proper Development
Tools used for their realization. Moreover these tools must
be installed and used on development PC as described in dedicated
technical documentation. For further details about this aspect,
please contact directly grifo®
- No License
nor additional costs. The user is free to develop all the applications
that he requires.
For further information please refer to proper SL-Data
GSM user's manual.
- At least one SL-Data GSM
- A power supply source for the selected hardware device.
- A PC provided of one RS 232 asynchronous serial line
(COMx) and one multicards interface.
- A 2 GBytes memory card.
- Serial communication cables.
A C C E S S O R
I E S
CKS AMP 4
Connector KIT Set, 4 pins
4 Female pins + AMP plastic housing
for GMB_HR84, etc..
AMP Cable Connector, 4 pins
1 m cable with 4 pins female AMP
connector for GMB_HR84, etc..
CKS AMP 8
Connector KIT Set, 8 pins
8 Female pins + AMP plastic housing
for QTP_03, etc..
AMP Cable Connector, 8 pins
1 m cable with 8 pins female AMP
connector for QTP_03, etc..
Cable Connector AMP 3+3 Vie
0,48 m cable with 3+3 pins female AMP
connector for I2C BUS
The EL 12 module is a complete, low cost, power
supply with extremely reduced dimension, that can be used in
conjunction with grifo®
cards as SDI 02, QTP 12, QTP 16Big, QTP 16,
QTP 22, QTP 24, QTP G28, etc.
Page up-dated at October 22,
Cards Categorical Index